Working in Aboriginal health can be challenging due to the complex care needs of many patients, but also very rewarding.
Registrars who undertake placement in an Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Service (ACCHS) through Eastern Victoria GP Training will:
- Experience immersion in the oldest living culture in the world.
- Make a practical contribution to closing the gap on health equality and improving health outcomes for Aboriginal people.
- Work as a member of a multidisciplinary team including nurses, Aboriginal health workers, allied health professionals, and supported by experienced practice managers.
- Gain transferable cross-cultural communication skills.
- Work with remote supervisors who have extensive experience in Aboriginal health.
- Work 9am-5pm with no weekend or on-call work.
- Receive pastoral care to support wellbeing.
- Undertake cultural and practice orientation programs.
EV ensures support systems are in place for all registrars undertaking placement in an ACCHS. Such support is tailored to each individual registrar’s needs.